Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Learning From The Pros - 1983 - Training and playing pick up with Bill Walton

http://www.internationalbigmanacademy.com

(San Diego 1983) Yep...1983. I took a bus from Tyler JC, to San Diego to attend summer classes at San Diego State before the fall semester and training camp started at my new school and with my new team.

Tyler, Texas was such a small city compared to San Diego. Playing pick up ball in Tyler you would never expect to see an NBA super star walk into the gym to ball with everybody. Nope, not in Tyler! You were more likely to see Earl Campbell at the gas station.

But a few days after arriving in San Diego a teammate, Michael Cage, took me to beautiful Balboa Park to a gym that was located close to an Aerospace Museum. The gym was called Muni gym and as we entered the gym there was the first 7 footer I ever saw running up and down the floor playing with a group of university and college players who attended school in the San Diego area. His name was Bill Walton.

Walton was the center for the San Diego Clippers, but according to Mike Cage he was hurt and was working his way back into shape. I remember how it made me feel to finally get a chance to play with an NBA player. I felt on top of the world. The fist thing I thought was I wanted to dunk on Mr. Walton if I ever got the chance. Yea..I know, young dude dreaming!

But I guess thats what happens when young players get a chance to compete against professional players. They dream Really BIG dreams! I know I did! All kind of creative ideas were running through my mind as my adrenaline was pumping my heart out of my chest. I could not wait for my chance to get on the court.

And I remember this as clear as crystal because at the time it was such a disappointment. Bill's team lost and he had to leave the court. My heart dropped! But as Bill was leaving the court the player who was to choose next, (Zack Jones) an ex San Diego State player, pick Bill to run with us and he agreed.

So this was even better because now I get to play with Bill Walton and give him high fives. Yea!
Man, I was in heaven. I had so much to prove too because I was the new recruit every one was talking about. The Junior College All American transfer from Jamaica, with mad hops. Back then I had a 41 inch vertical jump and dunked everything I could and couldn't get my hands on.

I can't remember if we won the game or not but I do remember Bill pulling me aside at some point and giving me a few words of encouragement. He even asked me to shoot around with him on the other court while games continued on the middle court.

He did not want to play anymore because of his ankle injury so he could not risk injury. So off we went to practice on the side.

This was such a boost to my ego as I rebounded for him while he took ten shots. When he was finished with his ten he told me to take ten. We shot for a while then I fed him post entry passes so he could execute 10 post moves. Then it was my turn. I still remember him teaching me that little jump hook.

Working out with Bill Walton was always a cool thing to do because my mind would always have these super fantasies about playing in the NBA. And I was learning from a professional just from working out with him or watching him play. I learned so much that summer it made my adjustment to Diego so much easier.

Mike Cage was not a pro yet but was about to be drafted at the end of the upcoming (1983-84) season.

Bill was traded from the Clippers to the Celtics in 1984. I guess because the Clippers were about to draft my teammate Michael Cage in the first round. But the runs continued at Muni gym the next summer and when Bill was home ( San Diego was his home) he would always come out to play and shoot the jive with us young fellas. It was always a pleasure to see him and work out with him. It was always time to learn.

I left San Diego the spring of 1985 and never saw or spoke to Bill Walton again till I saw him at his son's (Luke) basketball camp in San Diego at Francis Parker High School in July or August 2006. We only had a small opportunity to say hello because he was there to address the campers and he was bombarded with autograph seekers. But it was cool to see the man who first taught me the Jump Hook.

Peace

No comments: